Tears for a Lifetime: The Lunch (Part 2)


If you missed the previous part, click here

They were speaking in low tones and almost whispering ‘But guy, how far naa… babes full for outside, you nor want. Na your wife niece you see’ I heard Jide say ‘I know. You tink say I nor know. I don try close eye but mehn, I nor fit. I send this girl. I send am die. I nor just understand wetin dey do me.’ I couldn’t stop myself from smiling thinking ‘so he really likes me’. Jide continued ‘See ehn, I fit do anything…’ There was a sudden silence then I heard Kemi say‘Good afternoon, sir’ and John replied ‘Good afternoon, dear’. Just as Kemi came into the dining room, the bell sounded out.

I heard different voices this time. I asked Kemi to help me find out how many people were around so I could serve them accordingly. I took out the tray with the assortment of drinks first and though I greeted them all, I didn’t really look at anyone. I had to serve the soup to each person so I dished them and carried them out. The person closest to the dining room was John so I served him first, then Kemi and I served a husband and his wife, then there was another young man before I got to where Jide was.

I served them both and that was when I noticed the woman sitting so close to him. In fact, there was no space between the both of them on the couch. She kept laughing at everything that he was saying and her right hand did not see anywhere else to rest except on Jide’s lap. She was wearing a very revealing dress with some of her chest on display and her nails were long and red too. Well, she was pretty but I felt that Miss Feyi was prettier when I compared them in my mind.

I left to go back to the kitchen and in no less than five minutes, Jide flashed my phone (which meant that he needed me) so I went back to the sitting room and I approached him ‘You need me?’ He said ‘No, Rit…’ She sat up ‘I sent for you.’ She picked up the spoon from the tray and handed it over to me. ‘This spoon is dirty. Don’t you know how to wash a spoon?’ I collected it and I looked at it and frankly, the spoon looked very clean to me. I moved to change it when John said, ‘Rita, you dey cook oh. This pepper soup ehn… You get am.’ Then, he said ‘Jide, try it. It’s good.’

Jide had picked up his bowl and he had taken a spoon and was eating when the woman said to Jide ‘JD, let me taste some from your own.’ He paused. I needed to know what he was going to do so I walked to the dispenser pretending to be doing something serious. I was facing Jide. He handed his bowl over to her and she tasted it. ‘Hmmn. It’s too spicy ugh. John, you don’t even know good pepper soup. Jide, you should come over sometime and let me cook better pepper soup for you without so much spice.’ Jide smiled and said ‘Don’t bother yourself. I probably won’t like it because I love this spicy soup as it is.’ She didn’t look too happy about it.

I, on the other hand, was so excited about how he took my side. I immediately left to the kitchen before I would get noticed. In thirty minutes, the bowls had been cleared. Jide came into the kitchen to inform me that he wanted us to serve the food into the big food warmers and move them to the dining so that they could serve themselves and I didn’t have to go back and forth serving them. He was still talking when he looked to his left where I had neatly arranged all the food in the food warmers except the salad which was cooling in the fridge. He said ‘Of course’ and he smiled. He asked to carry the food warmers into the dining room and when I refused, he ignored me and began to carry them so I followed him.

We were arranging them in the dining room for easy access with Jide wanting everything to be perfect when the woman came in. ‘Ahn ahn. Jide what are you doing serving the food when there’s someone here to do it? You didn’t even tell me, you left me all by myself in there.’ Jide turned around to face her (and me as well) and I could tell that he was not too happy about it.

Source: GreenNews
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment